|GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO|
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT (FOIA) 1999
OF EVOLVING TECKNOLOGIES AND ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT COMPANY LIMITED (e TecK)
In accordance with Sections 7, 8 and 9 of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 1999, e TecK is required to publish a statement setting out certain information for the benefit of the public. The Statement describes e TecK’s organization, functions, decision-making powers and arrangements for consultation in the formulation of policy. The Statement also lists the categories of documents that are available for inspection by the public and how to access the documents which are eligible for public scrutiny.
SECTION 7 STATEMENTS
(i) STATEMENT OF ORGANISATION AND FUNCTIONS OF E TECK
To develop and nurture Trinidad and Tobago’s non-energy sector through the creation of new industry, enterprise and services that are economically sustainable, socially responsive, technology driven, environmentally conscious, knowledge-based and community oriented, acting always in the national interest.
E TecK will be a significant partner in the sustainable economic development of Trinidad and Tobago by diversifying the country’s no-energy production and export base.
Incorporated in 1997 to manage the Industrial Estates previously owned by the Industrial Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago (IDC), the Property and Industrial Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited ( PIDCOTT) in June 2003, was transformed from a subsidiary of the Tourism and Industrial Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (TIDCO) to an independent state enterprise with an entirely new mandate to develop the Wallerfield Industrial and Technology Park and to cause the development of a new business sector in Trinidad and Tobago – the Information Communications Technology (ICT), knowledge and technology driven sector, inter alia.
The name was changed from PIDCOTT to Evolving TecKnologies and Enterprise Development Company Limited ( e TecK) in October 2004 so as to more adequately represent the expected new role of catalyst for the transformation of the economic life of Trinidad and Tobago, by transforming the export base and the skill levels of the citizens.
e TecK’s Mandate
e Teck is responsible for developing the light Industrial Estates in Trinidad and Tobago by encouraging diversification of the country’s production base, exploring niche areas of investment for local and foreign investors as well as providing infrastructural support by development of e TecK Parks throughout Trinidad and Tobago.
More specifically, the Mandate is interpreted as enabling e TecK to pursue the following activities:
- To foster the sustainable industrial and economic development of the light industrial sector of Trinidad and Tobago through diversification of the production and export base;
- Industrial Site development;
- Development and upgrade of existing Industrial Parks;
- Non Energy Sector Business Development, including the development of the ICT, knowledge based and downstream energy industries;
- Ownership, Development and Management of the Wallerfield Industrial and Technology Park;
- Management of the lease operatorship for the Hilton Hotels;
- Monitoring the business ventures established under the Equity Fund ( to be established to provide venture capital funding for start ups in the on shore economy by taking equity positions in innovative small business ventures;
- Development of non-energy Industrial sector incentives;
- Development of a Project Management Capability.
The deliverables include the development of light industrial estates, a number of investment projects delivered within budget and timeframe, the expansion of local business, employment creation, increased production and export base. The Target/Client is the Industrial sector with an asset base of over $250,000.00.
Organisational Structure and Functions of e TecK
e TecK is comprised of the following Divisions as shown on the Oganisational Chart:
- Business Development
- Capital Projects
- Property Management
- Corporate Administration.
These Divisions are located at e TecK’s office and managed by Vice Presidents.
e Teck’s overall management falls under a President.
e TecK’s line Ministry is the Ministry of Trade and Industry. The stakeholders of e TecK are the Corporation Sole (sole shareholder), the Ministry of Trade and Industry, the Ministry of Science, Technology and Tertiary Education.
Particulars of the Organization and Functions of e TecK
Business Development Division
This Division is responsible for:
- Developing and sourcing new Business Ventures in the Non-Energy Sector;
- Sourcing and analyzing businesses for the Wallerfield Industrial and Technology Park;
- Development of non-energy industrial sector incentives;
- Facilitating the development of the light industrial sector through diversification of the production and export base;
- Corporate re-branding;
- Managing company website;
- Branding of Trinidad and Tobago in conjunction with TIDCO;
Capital Projects Division
This Division is responsible for:
- Development of the Eco- Friendly, LEED Certified Wallerfield Industrial and Technology Park;
- Development of a Project Management Capability;
- Overseeing the Hilton Trinidad Renovation Project;
- Development, upgrade and maintenance of the infrastructure of new and existing Industrial Parks;
- Development of a Project Management Capability for Trinidad and Tobago.
Property Management Division
This Division is responsible for:
- Management of the relationship between e TecK and the tenants of the Industrial Parks which would involve rent collection, lease administration.;
- Negotiating lease agreements for the new and existing Industrial parks.
- Development of Industrial sites;
- Management of the lease operatorship for the Hilton Trinidad;
- Management of 19 industrial parks namely
- Diamond Vale
- Sea Lots
- East Dry River
- Abbatoir Lands
- Morvant and Morvant extension
- Frederick Settlement and extension
- Chase Village
- Point Lisas
- Harmony Hall
- Plaisance Park
- Lady Hailes
- Point Fortin.
- Rocky Point
- Cove Point
- Milford Road
- Sangster’s Hill Mall
Corporate Administration Division
This Division provides the corporate secretariat and corporate governance functions as well as the legal, administrative, financial and human resource support to the other Divisions.
(ii) CATEGORIES OF DOCUMENTS MAINTAINED IN THE POSSESSION OF E TECK
- Files dealing with administrative support and general administrative documents for the operations of e TecK.
- Personnel files, which detail all staff appointment, job applications, job specifications, resignations, leave, vacation etc.
- Files dealing with the accounting and financial management function of e TecK;
- Financial Records
- Files dealing with matters relating to the procurement of goods, services, works.
- Maps, Photgraphs,Compact Dics/Diskettes/ DVD
- Policy and Procedure Documents
- Internal and External Correspondence files.
- Legal opinions and related matters
- Lease agreements and contracts
- Corporate documents, minutes of board and board committee meetings
- Legislation and Legal instruments
- Consultants/ Technical Reports, Architectural and Engineering Designs and Feasibility Studies
- Work Programmes and Implementation Schedules
- Files dealing with official functions, conferences and events hosted and attended by representatives of e TecK.
(iii) MATERIAL PREPARED BY E TECK FOR PUBLICATION OR INSPECTION BY THE PUBLIC AND WHERE THEY CAN BE INSPECTED OR OBTAINED.
(iv) LITERATURE AVAILABLE BY WAY OF SUBSCRIPTION
(v) PROCEDURE TO BE FOLLOWED WHEN ACCESSING A DOCUMENT FROM E TECK
HOW TO REQUEST INFORMATION:
- General Procedure
Our policy is to answer all legitimate requests, oral and written, for information. However, to exercise the right of access under section 11 and 13 of the FOIA the appropriate form must be completed and submitted to our office. These forms are available at e TecK’s office located at The Atrium, Don Miguel Road, Extension, El Socorro.
- Addressing Request
To facilitate prompt procession, all requests should be addressed to e TecK’s Designated Officer.
- Details in Request
Applicants should provide details that will allow for ready identification and location of the documents that are being requested. If insufficient information is provided, clarification will be sought from the applicant. If the applicant is unsure as to how to adequately complete the form, please contact the Designated Officer who will take all reasonable steps to render the necessary assistance.
REQUESTS NOT HANDLED UNDER THE FOIA
- A request under the FOIA will not be processed to the extent that it asks for access to documents which are classified as exempt under Part IV of the FOIA or documents falling under section 12 FOIA.
RESPONDING TO THE REQUEST
- Retrieving Documents
e TecK is required to furnish copies of documents only when they are in its possession or can be retrieved from storage.
- Furnishing Documents
The applicant is entitled to access to all documents to which the FOIA applies. Copies of the requested documents, if requested, will be furnished, within seven (7) calendar days, of the payment of the prescribed fee. If a legible copy cannot be produced, no attempt will be made at reconstruction. However, the best copy possible will be furnished and its quality noted in the reply.
Please note there is no duty upon e TecK under the FOIA to do the following:
(a) Create new documents;
(b) Perform research for the applicant.
The FOIA prescribes a Time limit of thirty (30) calendar days for e TecK to communicate to the applicant, its approval or refusal of a request for access to documents. e TecK will make all attempts to adhere to this time limit, however, if it appears that the processing of the request will not be within the said time limit, e TecK will advise the applicant of same. Applicants are asked to call or confirm receipt of requests.
(vi) OFFICERS IN THE PUBLIC AUTHORITY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INITIAL RECEIPT OF AND ACTION UPON NOTICES UNDER SECTION 10 AND REQUESTS FOR ACCESS TO DOCUMENTS UNDER SECTION 13 AND APPLICATIONS UNDER SECTION 36 OF THE FOIA
The Designated Officer(s) is/are:
Don Miguel Road Extension
Tel. no.: 675-1989 ext. 164 or 107
(vii) BOARDS, COUNCILS, COMMITTEES AND OTHER BODIES (Where meetings are open to the public)
(viii) LIBRARY/READING ROOM FACILITIES
SECTION 8 STATEMENTS
DOCUMENTS PROVIDED BY E TECK FOR USE BY ITS OFFICERS
- Copies of all legislation, laws, regulations, orders;
- Monthly, midterm and annual reports on the performance of the PSIP
- Tenders Rules and Procedures;
- Corporate and Business Plans;
- Strategic Plans
SECTION 9 STATEMENTS
These statements are not applicable to e Teck